Safety Tips for Drivers, Parents and Kids from the Fremont Police Department (CA)
Public schools in Fremont are back in session, Wednesday, August 28th. We want to encourage drivers to be more aware and vigilant as thousands of kids begin their new school year by walking to and from school this week. Traffic Enforcement Officers will be increasing enforcement around schools during the first couple of days.Parents should take a proactive stance on traffic safety by taking the time to talk about safety with their kids before they head back to school.
If your kids are walking to school, it’s a good idea for parents to plan the route ahead of time with your child. Once it has been planned out, walk the route to school with your kids before the start of the year to assess hazards and select a course with the least number of traffic crossings. It’s important to tell your children that they should find a walking buddy and stay on the same course each day.
Adults can teach and model safety behaviors that all children should follow, even if they don’t walk to school every day.
Here are some simple reminders for drivers:
- Slow down and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods and school zones.
- Remember to stop for pedestrians who are trying to walk across the street in a crosswalk.
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians and on curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully.
- Watch for children on and near the road in the morning and after school hours.
- Reduce any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings. Put down your phone and don’t talk or text while driving.
- If your child’s school has a pick up/drop off valet system, obey the rules and volunteers running the program.
Reminder for your kids:
- They should cross the street with an adult until they are at least 10 years old or an age of maturity where they can make independent decisions.
- Remind them that they should never speak, accept gifts or rides from a stranger.
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
- Never run out into the streets or cross in between parked cars.
- Make sure they always walk in front of the bus where the driver can see them.
- Wear a helmet when riding a bike, scooter or skateboard.
- They should know their phone number, address and cell phone number of a parent.
You can find more school safety tips at www.safekids.org
BE SAFE AND DRIVE CAREFULLY!