Whether your children are new to kindergarten, or entering Mission Valley from another school, there are a few pieces of information that may be helpful to you.
1. Parents, please be sure to check in with the office any time you visit the school. You’ll be asked to sign in and out and will be given a visitor sticker for the day. These procedures are designed to keep your child safe during school hours.
2. School schedules vary by grade and day of the week. Typically, for grades 1-3, school starts at 8:30 and ends at 2:50. However, Wednesdays are early release days for grades 1-6, when school ends at 1:10. Typically for grades 4-6 school starts at 8:20 and ends at 2:50. Additionally, there are exceptions for all students and grades, which are entered into the early release calendar and distributed to parents.
3. The YMCA operates an onsite afterschool program at Mission Valley. You may inquire directly with them at http://fremont.ymcaeastbay.org. For other options on before and after-school childcare, please contact one of Fremont’s non-profit advocacy groups, like 4c’s of Alameda. Staff can assist you with child care referrals in the area.
3. The Kindergarten schedule has two start periods. Under the new schedule, the 15 student early group has class from 8:30-11:50 and overlaps with the 15 student late group, which runs from 10:10-1:30. If your child registered for kindergarten in March, you can find out which session he is registered for by checking the bulletin board outside of the office. Snack time for the early group will be 10 am, and for the late group, 11:50 pm.
4. Children learn to write using D’Nealian manuscript. Don’t be surprised when you write the letter “k,” and your kid tells you, “That’s not the Mission Valley way.” Parents who are getting their kids ready for kindergarten may want to start learning more about D’Nealian.
(If any parents out there know of a good source for a freeware/shareware D’Nealian font, please either post to the forum, or repository. For now, I am aware of two. One is a tracing font, and can be found at: http://desktoppub.about.com/od/fonts/p/nealfont.htm. The other is a homemade font (for Windows or Mac) posted to our file repository.)
5. Room assignments are posted at 5:30 pm the day before the first day of school. The listings are on Room 19, just behind the round dropoff area where school buses park. If you want to stay on the best side of office staff, don’t ask if it will be available earlier. You can count on having it posted when they say it will be.
6. Join Mission Valley School Association. It’s the fastest way to get to know your school and your community. At the same time, you’ll be helping not just yourself, but your neighbors. It’s true that being involved with the association can take time and effort. But not all of it is work. We take time to have fun, and to promote social aspects in our organization as well.
Advertising helps supplement this free website by DigitalPTO.com | Disable Ads Here