Mission Valley School Association
June 11, 2013
Attendance: Ashok Agrawal, Genevieve Randoph, Trish Cowan, David Lee, Filiz Crocker, Virginia Hom, Chris Nagata, Shirin Aidun, Catherine Phan Dang, Suzanne Yost, Sushma Chandrasekaran, Sudha Iyer, Alisa Ho, Michele Berke, Sowmya Krishnaswamy, Wolf Cramer, Srilu Madabushi, Shubhra Gupta
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:05.
2. The minutes from the April and May meetings were approved as presented.
3. The Budget was reviewed. A discussion was held around the thought of having more monitoring of the field trip financials: more careful tracking of funds turned in to assure that they are turned in in a timely manner, as well as paying buses and other field trip related bills in a timely manner.
4. Treasurer’s Report-The report was approved as presented.
5. Principal’s Report:
- School will be dismissed at 1:10 beginning June 12th until the last day, June 19th.
- The 4th through 6th Grade Award Ceremony is Wednesday, June 12th.
- 4th through 6th grade Letter Reward Picnic is Thursday, June 13th.
- Sixth Grade Promotion is on Friday, June 14th. Doors will open at 8:45.
- The Sixth Grade Pool Party is June 17th.
- First Grade Letter Reward movie and popcorn party is June 18th.
- Second Grade Letter Reward Barbecue on campus is June 12th.
- All Kindergarten students attend school from 8:30 to 11:30 on the last day of school.
- August 28th is the first day of school for the 2013-2014 school year.
- All registration of new students will now be held at the District Office.
- The Fence Proposal Committee has disbanded. The members plan to give input to District to consider funding a fence at Mission Valley on the upcoming bond.
- On the last day of school Award Ceremonies will be held at 8:45 for first through third grades and 9:45 for 4th through 6th grades.
6. Teachers’ Report- On behalf of the teachers, Ms. Aidun thanked the MVSA for the Teacher Appreciation Luncheon. She also surveyed the staff to see if there was interest in having two Room Parents for each classroom, who might not only assist in classroom duties, but also help out with MVSA activities or committees. There was interest in this idea, it needs to be explored.
7. Committee Updates –Virginia Hom
- Letter Reward Picnic on Thursday, June 13 has 30 volunteers.
- Promotion Friday, June 14th
- Pool Party, Monday, June 17th– Many parent volunteers are helping out.
8. Issues to Track
- a. Open Discussion – Most of the discussion was centered around thoughts and lessons learned.
- b. Thoughts on Lessons Learned- Catherine challenged members to think about ways we can improve the MVSA. What is working well? What needs improvement? How can we improve? Do we need to drop some of our activities or committees? How can we get new members? It was decided that a survey would be sent out to Board Members and all the people who attended the meeting tonight to get feedback on MVSA and school activities.
9. Board Member nominations and voting
Catherine asked if there were any nominations other than those listed below:
- President- Wolfgang Cramer
- Co- Vice Presidents- Michele Berke and David Lee
- Co- Recording Secretaries- Suzanne Yost and Sushma Chandrasekaran
- Corresponding Secretary- Theresa Bettencourt
- Co- Treasurers- Sowmya Krishnaswamy and Srilu Madabushi
There were no other nominations. All of the positions were voted on individually and elected unanimously.
10. It was proposed that the new Board Members meet informally for a planning session over the summer.
The Meeting was adjourned at 8:43.
The Next Meeting is scheduled for September 10th at 7:00.
Advertising helps supplement this free website by DigitalPTO.com | Disable Ads Here