Parent Bulletin August_September 2014
Once again this year the MVSA will be hosting a “Welcome Back” reception for all the parents on the first day of school in the MUR starting at 8:30am. During the reception you’ll be able to meet our new principal, Mike Pappas, and also ask MVSA Board members any questions you may have. Of course you’ll also be able to catch up with many of the other parents as well. We hope to see you there!
It is with deep sadness we inform you that we have lost a member of our Mission Valley Family. Linda Salvador, a third grade teacher, passed away this summer while scuba diving in the Philippines.
In honor of Mrs. Salvador, Mission Valley School will host an Open House followed by a Candlelight Vigil. This will be an informal gathering for all who would like to share time together in Mrs. Salvador’s memory. We are hoping the Salvador family will be able to join us.
The Open House will be held on Friday evening, August 22nd. Please feel free to drop in any time between 6:30 and 8:30. There will be baskets available for cards or condolences, and Memory books in the event you would like to share a special memory of Mrs. Salvador. The Candlelight Vigil will begin around 8:00.
Thanks to your support, the MVSA was able to deliver lots of value to the Mission Valley community in 2013-2014. Your contributions, both in time and donations, make a HUGE difference for our children. Below is a brief summary of the major accomplishments that MVSA contributed towards during the year:
- Dozens of student, class, and teacher appreciation celebrations!
- Financial donations and rewards given to teachers to enhance their classrooms!
- Matched funds raised for school library!
- Funded another year of the computer lab and staff (Thanks Ms. Nagata)!
- Supplied all students with school-spirited Friday Folders for homework!
- Fully funded the purchase and installation of a new school marquee with LED sign
- Held several campus clean-up events!
- Sponsored e-waste recycling event!
- Helped bring the Golden Sneaker Contest to Mission Valley!
- Funded the Accelerated Reading Program and Scholastic Weekly Readers for all classes that requested them!
- A great yearbook to preserve all the memories for the students!
- Coordinated several successful school-wide events including the Jog-A-Thon, the Halloween Carnival, Letter Reward Picnics, and more!
- Hosted Family Game Nights and Family Movie Night!
- And much much more!
Find out more about the investments MVSA has made by attending one of our upcoming meetings or review our MVSA meetings page.
Thank you all! The bands performed spectacularly at the two Mission Attendance Area concerts this month. The band students and their instructors shared their love of music and deserve a well-deserved congratulations on their accomplishments. FEF also thanks you for your generosity and support of the elementary After School Band Program—at last night’s concert we received over $3,100 to keep music in your elementary school! FEF truly appreciates your wonderful show of support—and, in case you were curious, your contributions resulted in the largest donation received this band concert season! Thank you again and have a fun, safe, musical summer!
Measure E is a $650 million school bond measure on the June 3rd ballot. If this measure passes, it will have an effect all of the schools in Fremont as well as the property taxes of Fremont residents.
The MVSA does not endorse Measure E one way or the other. We encourage all our members to learn more about Measure E’s plans and impacts before voting on June 3rd.
The details on Measure E can be found on the Alameda County web site at http://www.acgov.org/rov/elections/20140603/documents/MeasureEv6.pdf. The document contains the full text of the ballot measure, tax rate statement, as well as arguments in favor and against the measure.
As we wind down the school year, the MVSA is interested in understanding how we can improve next year. Please take just a few minutes to provide some feedback through our online survey.
MVSA officer elections for the 2014-15 school year were held during the annual member meeting earlier this week. Returning to the MVSA again next year will be:
- Wolf Cramer as President
- David Lee as Vice President
- Srilu Madabushi and Sowmya Krishnaswamy as Co-Treasurers
- Michele Berke as Secretary
Special thanks to Suzanne Yost and Theresa Bettencourt for serving as officers in 2013-14.
The Multicultural Fair scheduled for May 17th has been cancelled! Thanks to those parents that did volunteer to get involved but the organizers felt concerned that several cultures at our school were not well represented and decided to cancel this year’s event. We plan to bring the Multicultural Fair back to Mission Valley next year.